Quantcast
Free Book Reviews Author Interview: Kelly I. Hitchcock author of The Redheaded Stepchild |Free Book Reviews

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Author Interview: Kelly I. Hitchcock author of The Redheaded Stepchild



About Your Book: The Redheaded Stepchild

Cady O’Donnell is "The Redheaded Stepchild," the heroine without any grandiose heroic actions. In this disjointed collection of short stories, we follow Cady as she tries on every hat in the this-is-your-life store to see what fits and works best in the adventures she shares with her special head of hair. Each chapter acts a screaming independent connection between the most formative years of her life, as she meets, lives with, and loses one of the most influential people in her lifetime. Set in a rural community in Minnesota, "The Redheaded Stepchild" is an archetype of life in small-town America and a testament that the broken family is the new whole family, just as Cady O’Donnell shows how the unwanted stepchild can be a everyday hero.

Free Book Reviews
What do you think readers will find most notable about this book?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
I think they'll find the character of Katrina compelling; she's the stepmother you love to hate. More than anything, though, I think they'll enjoy the protagonist Cady's triumph over her years of family drama.

Free Book Reviews
Have you acquired any good anecdotes surrounding this book? If so, could you share one?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
Well, my mom was less than pleased when I told her I was going to publish it, since it put her in a less-than-favorable light (even though it's a highly fictionalized account of much of my life). I told her at the time that I'd rather live an authentic life than a safe one, and I've tried to live up to it ever since.

Free Book Reviews
Did researching and writing this book teach you anything or influence your thinking in any way?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
For me, writing this book was like ripping a band-aid off a gushing wound and stitching it up. It was a way for me to heal and get past the victim mentality that I had for a very long time.

Free Book Reviews
What would you most like readers to tell others about this book?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
If you've never known what it's like to grow up in poverty in a broken family in a small town, you'll know after reading this book.

Free Book Reviews
Can you suggest one question readers might find interesting to discuss, concerning you, your writing in general, or this book?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
Because the stories are thematically, not chronologically ordered, they skip around between various years in the protagonist's life. Do you think this plot device works with the story?

Free Book Reviews
How can readers help you promote this book?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
Grab a copy, write an honest review of it, and lend it to a fellow bibiophile.

About You: Kelly I. Hitchcock

Kelly I. Hitchcock is an up-and-coming writer in the Austin, Texas area. She is author of various poems about the randomness of life, several short stories, random creative nonfiction works, and the coming-of-age novel The Redheaded Stepchild. She is world-renowned among a readership of five people and growing.

Raised by a single father in the small town of Buffalo, Missouri, Kelly has fond memories of cash-strapped life in the Ozarks that strongly influence her writing and way of life.

When she's not writing manuals for money or writing poetry and fiction for unmoney, or training for the KC Corporate Challenge triathlon, Kelly enjoys sewing, playing dodgeball, and politics. She is an avid volunteer and fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. She also loves talking about herself in third person.

Free Book Reviews
Why do you write?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
Why? Because I was born too. As long as I can remember I've had stories floating around inside my head and even as a child, I was always talking to myself (which you'd think would make me better at dialogue, but no matter). It's how I interpret human emotion.

Free Book Reviews
What is your greatest strength as a writer?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
Touching, authentic prose that is understated and rich with imagery.

Free Book Reviews
What quality do you most value in yourself?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
My honesty. Sometimes, when I am writing, I start to feel the urge to hold back - usually because of a painful emotion or brutal truth that I think could hurt someone else. That's when I say "no" to the little voice inside and let the floodgates open, because that's where the gold is.

Free Book Reviews
In addition to writing, what else are you passionate about?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
My day job, designing help systems for software. I'm a total geek. Volunteering at my local library and for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (it's a devastating disease that they are VERY close to finding a cure for). Triathlons and 10Ks.

Free Book Reviews
What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
Finishing my first marathon in 2010. It took me over 5 hours, which is generally very slow for a marathoner, but then it took me seven years to publish my first book, so just call me the tortoise :)

Free Book Reviews
Is there any new or established author whom you feel deserves more attention, and what is it that strikes you about his or her work?

Kelly I. Hitchcock
I recently discovered Consuelo Saah Baehr, and she has something like 10 books. Her writing is prolific, honest, and downright hilarious, and I don't know why she's not at the top of everyone's to-read list. She should be.

Intrigued by this Interview? Then head on over to Kelly's website or find her book at the following:
Amazon
GoodReads
Google

Our Nation