Review by J. M. Tresaugue author of Shadows Beyond the Flames and Other Stories
When Angst turned 40, he knew it was over. Angst had longed to be a knight of Unsel, to make his mark in history, to be remembered for heroic deeds and wondrous acts. He grew up knowing he was destined for something great, but now it is too late. Not only is 40 far too old to become a knight, Angst is one of the few able to wield "the magics". For 2,000 years magic has been outlawed, repressed, even outright destroyed throughout the world of Ehrde. By law, Angst is reduced to using his great power only to file papers. His marriage is on the rocks, his friends are bored with him, and he hates his job. The one person that makes him happy is the young Princess Victoria who seems to adore him. Unfortunately, that makes his boss, the Queen, hate him. Without warning, Unsel is besieged with dangerous monsters - birds with metallic beaks, monkey creatures that can dive through solid ground, mindless horse-eating giants. The world that shunned magic now turns to Angst for help, and he is happy to listen once his back stops hurting. On the edge of a mid-life crisis, Angst drags his reluctant friends along with him on an adventure into the heart of magic. He’s not sure where they're going, what they'll find, or even if they'll survive. But he knows this is his one chance to be a hero because the only way to fight magic is with magic.
David J. Pedersen’s debut novel, “Angst”, is a wonderful journey through a magical world filled with wonders. The pages of Pedersen’s book are filled with wonderful characters to love and hate as they bring joy or frustration to the reader. Pedersen has not only created a vast world bulging with all the elements fans of fantasy crave, but also brings a unique and enjoyable touch to the genre of speculative fiction. Pedersen seems to have taken a page from Kurt Vonnegut’s rule book in working hard to make the reading easy. The 767 page novel passes quickly, even when plagued with the. Though geared for an older audience, “Angst” is well suited for fantasy readers of all ages.
Where to Find:
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Albert Robbins III
angst|book reviews|David J. Pedersen|epic fantasy|fantasy|fantasy adventure|J. M. Tresaugue|journey|magic|midlife crisis|monsters|Shadows Beyond the Flames and Other Stories|
- December (6)
- November (3)
- October (12)
- September (36)
- August (17)
- July (3)
- May (4)
- April (2)
- March (6)
- February (4)
- January (19)
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (58)
- September (43)
- August (46)
- Author Interview: Rashaad Bell author of The Vamp...
- Last Call For Birthright By RJ Palmer (Free)
- The Spoken Confession
- The Single Twin
- THE SEED GARDEN
- Days Of Iron
- Author Interview: Erin Jamison author of Better Th...
- BEYOND the LADY
- STORMY DEFENSE
- The Recycled Window
- Author Interview: Allen Mesch author of The Analys...
- The Overseer - The Human Experiment
- The Other Side of Life (Book #1, Cyberpunk Elven T...
- The Naked Gardener
- Changes to Free Book Reviews
- Peace at the Edge of Uncertainty
- Author Interview: Daniel Coleman author of Jabberw...
- Promote Your Book - Indie Author Promotion Guide
- Hemingway Point
- Author Interview: Chap O'Keefe author of Misfit Li...
- The Mirrors of Fate: Out of the Past, Book 1
- The Martian Enigma
- The Judas Syndrome
- The Inosculation Syndrome
- Book Review - Readers/Authors Unite
- Just a Please Please Please Please Please Post
- Author Interview: Dan Fullerton author of APlusPhy...
- The Dinosaur Games
- The Defector
- The Changeling Detective
- The Battle for Moscow, Idaho & Other Stories
- Author Interview: Cindy C Bennett author of Heart ...
- The Art of Finding Yourself, At Any Age
- Author Interview: Allison Wynn author of The Answe...
- RJPalmer: Birthright Free For A Limited Time
- Tales of the Zorantian Brotherhood Volume Three: W...
- Tales of the Zorantian Brotherhood Volume Two: Suf...
- Tales of the Zorantian Brotherhood Volume One: Bla...
- Tales of Aradia The Last Witch Volume 2 (The Tales...
- New Blog Launches to Advertise Indie Books
- Author Interview: Marvin Richard Montney author of...
- Author Interview: Paul M. Schofield author of TROP...
- Escaping Destiny
- Author Interview: Andrew Curtiss author of 1984 Re...
- Mr. / Ms. Right: An Endangered Species?
- The Meteoric Rise of Simon Burchwood
- Author Interview: Todd Russell author of Mental Sh...
- An Aniversary Wish For My One and Only
- June (30)
- May (38)
- April (40)
- March (32)
- February (18)
- January (13)
Other Book Review Sites
- A Wingnut Joins the Dance
- Ask David
- BigAl's Books and Pals
- Books and Novels to Read
- Books On The Knob
- Find Us on Yahoo Associate Content
- Free eBooks for Young Adults
- Grasping For Wind
- Independent Author Interviews
- Indie Book Reviewers
- Kay's Bookshelf
- Lincoln Crisler
- Michy's Book Reviews
- My Bookish Ways
- Reader's Favorite (Amazon Vine Reviewer)
- Red Moon Chronicle
- Review Haven: Fantasy and Sci-Fi
- RJ Palmer
- Self Publisher Store
- Speculative Fiction Examiner
- Step by Step Publishing Reviewer List
- Steven W Johnson - Book Store
- The Black Abyss
- The Indie Ebook Review Site
- The Indie View
- The Inner Bean
- Workaday Reads